Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Another Snail Mail Letter - 6/14/09

Dear Family
Sorry my last letter was so short. I was in a hurry to get it out to the mailbox before they picked up the mail. I forgot some things in it so I figured I’d write this letter to finish up. First of all, tell Dad Happy Birthday and Happy Fathers Day and also thank him again for all the letters. And I can’t remember who asked but I have seen Todd Hanson a few times, but the first time I talked to him was today. He seems like he’s doing well. As to an update on the language, I’m doing pretty good. Our District thinks we’re behind the other district that came in with us but I think we’re okay. The Elders in my district think I do the best with the language, but I’m not convinced. They just say I’m humble. We had a vocabulary quiz on Saturday over about 75-80 words that we had to memorize in two days. I was excited to take the quiz but no one else was. I think the teacher wasn’t, because he didn’t feel we studied enough. I got 100% on the test while others in the district didn’t do as well. There were 40 questions so its no a big deal, but it made me feel pretty good. On Friday, one of the older districts didn’t have a teacher so they were told to come in with us. They helped us with some Portuguese, then our teacher told us to teach them the first lesson. Me and Elder McClean ended up teaching the Zone Leaders…talk about pressure! Elder McClean did awesome (he loves to teach and would love to do it all day…me not so much). But I struggled really bad and it was kind of embarrassing. I think part of my problem was that I was so nervous about teaching the Zone Leaders and I couldn’t gather my thoughts. It was tough, but it was good for me to have my butt kicked really bad so I can learn. Well, today is Sunday and like I said in one of my first letters we have to prepare a talk in Portuguese that would last about 5 minutes. It’s on a Christ like attribute from “Preach My Gospel” so it’s not too hard. All we do is 1. introduce ourselves and where we’re going, 2. Introduce the topic, 3.. Read a section in “Preach My Gospel” about it, 4. Read a scripture about it, 5. and bear testimony and end in the name of Jesus Christ. So I prepared my talk with my district (We kind of worked on it together) and I was scared all day today. The way if works is this, the person conducting gets up after the sacrament and “by the power of inspiration” calls to missionaries to speak. Me and Elder McClean passed the sacrament and the whole time I thought about how one of the Branch Presidency promised to call at least one missionary from the new missionaries to speak on Sunday. About the time the sacrament was over I felt like I did before I gave my farewell talk so I figured the Lord was preparing me to speak. But when the 2nd Councilor got up he called on the missionary who sits next to me in my district, Elder Muir and another missionary. I felt so relieved, but I wasn’t off the hook. After sacrament meeting we went and watched “Music and the Spoken Word” in the Gym. Then we went back to our dorms and I was with two other Elders because my companion was in a branch meeting. We ended up eating cinnamon rolls, cookies, brownies, and rice crispy treats while we talked and told stories of home. Then we went to priesthood where I was asked to pray in Portuguese. The Zone Leader who asked me said all I had to do was start it in Portuguese. But I had to represent the district so I got up and said a short little prayer all in Portuguese. I was kind of worried that I messed up but when I walked down to my seat I got a few thumbs up from the older Elders and one in front of me turned around and said I did a good job. The guys in my district seemed pretty proud so I guess I did well. I’m making a list of stuff to mail me I go if that’s okay. And I wanted to ask if you guys could send me some teaching advice about the lessons or teaching in general. If you could that would be awesome, and I would love you guys forever! I’m sorry I didn’t send Dad any presents but I’ll see what I can do next year. Tell Mom thanks for the granola bars and candy. They have saved my life! Thank You! Life is good here and its starting to get better!
Love you guys! TCHAU!
Elder Haws

No comments:

Post a Comment